search-icon

Split orders and Backorders

started a topic almost 9 years ago

Hi There,

I would like to be able to back order the products we do not have in stock but for the customer to pay for the whole order in one go. However if I "split" the order the customer has to pay two separate invoices and if i "back order" the order. The entire order is backordered. Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks 

Fryea 

6 people have this question
  • I need this functionality as well, I'd be interested to hear the solution.

• I would like to generate the invoice for the items I have in stock, and have the back ordered items shown below the invoiced items but separate from the invoiced items....and with no total to pay calculated.

We did this fr many years with MYOB....

This is a weakness in DEAR.

Please improve it ASAP.

1 person likes this
  • I also need to be able to back order part of a customers order but keep it as one invoice.  This is because as an online business the customer pays at the point of ordering not at the point of dispatch.  If I end up with 2 invoices it makes life hard when reconciling payments in Xero.

This really needs improving to work with online retailers.

• Follow on from previous comment - is it possible to have Invoice First facility on Sales Orders the same way as on Purchase Orders, where the whole order can be invoiced and then fulfilled as stock becomes available without the need to split the sales order?

1 person likes this
  • Hello DEAR,

It feels like you've got us all on "Ignore"?

Please reply if somebody is paying any attention.

We'd really like to know.

• HI all,

We will be reviewing the suggestions for backorders/split orders for next development cycle in the coming weeks and will be able to provide a response with regard to how these issues will be addressed. We will likely contact each of the participants individually to seek further clarification to the suggestions.

Thank you

DEAR Support

1 person likes this
  • Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

As you are aware I feel there is some basic functionality missing from DEAR in this area.

I will be more than happy to discuss this with you when you are ready...and hope it will be sooner rather than later.

Kind Regards

Duncan Millar

• Adding our voice here. We are very close to leaving DEAR because of this. There needs to be a simple way to ship a single order in multiple parts, without being forced to create multiple invoices. 

1 person likes this
  • Hi Tal,

When our customers call wanting to add to their order its such a pain...

We should be happy about it.

If I'd realised how hard DEAR was going to make basic invoicing I never would have moved to it in the first place.

1 person likes this
  • Hello!

I think I may have just managed to squeeze a part answer out of somebody at DEAR........

When you are trying to invoice a customer for items that you know you have in stock but are on Back Order to somebody else you get prompted to either "Split" the order or Back Order the whole lot.

Don't think that means you still can't INVOICE those items anyway!!!!!

If you want to Invoice them... you need to Backorder them.. 

Logical huh???

Then you go pick, pack and INVOICE the back Order.

Seems like that way you can override the items already being allocated to another backorder.

OMG ......

The "Logic" at DEAR is astounding!

Only took me 3 months and so many "F" words I've lost count to work that out.

I'll give it a try in the morning.

Lets hope it works.

Has anybody tried this already?

• Duncan, I agree this is frustrating. Every other inventory solution out there treats picks, shipments, and invoices as as list of transactions under the order. So I can have 3 different picks for an invoice, ship them out at 3 different dates, and then have either 1 (or 10) invoices for it. And I can create an invoice or a pick/ship in any order I want (invoice customer first for 25% of the sale, ship out 50% the sale, then invoice for another 25% of the sale). Create new invoices and shipments in any order I want, all on the same order.

What frustrates me is that when I've contacted DEAR, the answer I have gotten is "This is how we designed it, so make your workflow work with it". This was so ridiculous I had to get on the phone with someone to show them how my work flow is NOT unique. I showed him a basic situation where I needed to ship part of an order, backorder the rest, and have it all on one invoice. Is that a unique requirement? He was just silent and couldn't give me an answer. 

We are sticking with DEAR with the hopes this kind of flexibility gets added, but as soon as we can afford to spend a little more we are changing platforms. There are now so many good options out there (Unleashed is the one we are most impressed with). There is a lot that DEAR does great on the surface, but this kind of basic order management is absolutely necessary. We made the mistake of asking if these things could be done rather than verifying, and found out too late to make it easy to change. 

• Hi Tal,

Yep...

I hear your frustration.

DEAR said 2 months ago....

"HI all,

We will be reviewing the suggestions for backorders/split orders for next development cycle in the coming weeks and will be able to provide a response with regard to how these issues will be addressed. We will likely contact each of the participants individually to seek further clarification to the suggestions.

Thank you

DEAR Support

I wonder how many months there are in "the coming weeks" ? 

Over to you DEAR!

• So where are you DEAR?

• Hi All,

Thank you for your patience and suggestions. Although I am unable to provide an exact timeframe for this feature being available we are currently looking into introducing multiple fulfilments per sale order. This means that you will not be required to split the order in cases where stock is not available and needs to be backordered. Instead you will be able to create multiple partial fulfilments from the same order, keeping the same invoice.

I will update you further once we have specific timeframes for delivery of this functionality.

Thank you

Simon

DEAR Support

1 person likes this

6 people have this question