search-icon

Implemented
Zapier Integration

started a topic over 8 years ago

I hear you are planning an integration with Zapier (as detailed on a suggestion on DEAR's old support site).

Can you please confirm if this is indeed the case?

Also, can you please provide an approximate delivery date for this integration?

thanks,
Ed

34 people like this idea
  • Anyone wanting this integration and needing a workaround should look at how the paperwork Dear generates can be used for automation. I've put dozens of hours into this over the last little while so hopefully can help provide everyone with some time-saving advice.

Following example is (the short version of) how I generate a new Capsule opportunity based on a Dear quote (principle works for pretty much any Dear paperwork into any Capsule opportunity/contact/org) - the real magic is performed by Zapier Email Parser:

- Use a document manager (like Hazel) to take file from downloads folder into Google drive

- Use Automator+AppleScript to copy PDF text on to clipboard and paste into new email pre-addressed to Zapier Email Parser mailbox, then send

- Email Parser can then scan emailed text for keywords/other info that you have specified as tags when first setting up the account

- Then just create a Zap that links the Parser output to Capsule fields and you're good!

Notes: 

- Having all the info you need printed on the Dear paperwork is key (get to know your merge tags and how they can provide the info you need for other systems). This can be visible as per the normal version of the paperwork, or if it would mess with design, you can hide it by using white text on white background and setting font size to 1 - you'll convert to plain text before emailing so this won't matter to Email Parser

- To link back to Dear page - the end of the URL of the Dear page is actually a unique identifier (code) that you can use in Capsule to with the Link type of Custom Field - e.g. pre-populate with everything up to Sale# and then paste the code in, e.g.: https://inventory.dearsystems.com/Sale#257344e0-2849-4c63-a238-ac24fbf767b0 becomes: 

(pre-populated info in field) https://inventory.dearsystems.com/Sale#

(merged data) 257344e0-2849-4c63-a238-ac24fbf767b0

Happy to explain further if helpful, I've glossed over some bits that were actually kinda difficult!

2 people like this
  • Great suggestion. I check them out, but ending up going with Zoho because of its flexibility

Another great example: Zoho CRM connects to Zapier, but DEAR does not. That would be a very easy integration if a Zapier was available.

• Agree really need this integration, one of the reasons I selected this system was due to the plan to integrate via Zapier to Insightly CRM. Now I am left wondering if this will ever happen...

2 people like this
  • Cheryl, 

Damian is on the money with his workaround above. Take a look at the email parser from Zapier. It's not quite as slick as having a direct zapier integration with DEAR but we are BCC'ing all emails to our parser.zapier.com email address and then pulling out the useful stuff and pushing that via Zapier to our CRM (we use Pipedrive but should also work for Insightly) 

You can set up a bunch of rules that only run if certain conditions are met. 

E.g we have a rule running if Quote is in the email title, for us this creates a customer, deal and activity to follow up in 5 days (and we assign this to our main sales guy) 

We also have a rule for invoices that just creates/updates the customer and includes key order info. 

If your email template doesn't have the info you need to reference you can place it at the bottom of the email template in white text so customer doesn't see it. 

We want our customer records in our CRM to reference the sales source so we have our Shopify doing similar things. We also feed all our DEAR customers into our Mailchimp so that we can filter out people that have purchased offline. We want to segregate new, potential, existing customers so we can tailor or email marketing and this allows us to connect the data sources. 

1 person likes this
  • Hey David,

That work around seems like a great bandage, but DEAR does not even support automated emails, so there is still a too much manual effort involved with making Zapier work through email parser.

I do know that DEAR will be updating their API to include webhooks at the end of 2017. This means that an integration with Zapier would be much easier for the DEAR developers to build.

If anyone would like to see Zapier integrate with DEAR, please COMMENT on this thread, LIKE posts on this thread, and FOLLOW this thread. I think the DEAR Team will come around on this.

1 person likes this
  • Hey Philip, 

Totally agree, the webhooks update sounds good so hoping a Zapier integration isn't far off. 

Would open DEAR up to so many great integration at a one time development cost. 

1 person likes this
  • Be keen to hear from DEAR on this one, almost the end of 2017 so if the web hook functionality is coming along then the Zapier upgrade must be on the horizon :D

1 person likes this
  • So sad that we can not even get a reply!  Hello DEAR TEAM!!!  Zapier? PieSynch?  Something!

1 person likes this
  • I agree that Zapier Integration is a must for modern systems. It opens up a world of possibilities for users to create what works for them.

I find it rather odd that its been consistently commented upon since 2015, is the 2nd most popular feature request within this community, yet the response from the support team that I have received today is that its not on their roadmap at all.

For everyone who is keen on this feature, I encourage you to vote vote vote (and have your colleagues do so too). So that DEAR systems are gently encouraged to take action and perhaps re-consider their position.

1 person likes this
  • Hi All,

We are currently working on API V2. This API version will contain webhooks and many more additions, even if we do not have our own native integration with the aforementioned platforms suggested in this forum, you should have no issues with outsourcing your own developer to establish a custom connection utilising our new API.

The new API will be released in multiple stages with first stage planned to be released by 1st of Jan 2018. 

Thank you

• Mike - that would be great if you would occasionally give us a roadmap like this. At this point I am furious. Just YESTERDAY I had a dialogue with Christine #58334 about programming an integration with HubSpot. We have hired someone and they have started programming the integration with the current API and now you are letting me know that will change? Is Christine aware of the API changes? The new V2? This is a very costly oversight (for me). This is pathetic support and communication.
  • Hi Mike,

The old API will still be supported so if the current functionality available in the API works for you then no issues.

• Wow. So that’s the reply - hey Mike you are spending a bunch on money on our old product that wont be as good but hey . . . It will still work. No comment on not letting us know? No comment on the lack of communication from your staff in a dialogue directly relating to this? So sad.
  • Hi Mike,

You can interpert it how you like but if current API is suitable for you to have your developers start work then I can confirm for you again that it will still be supported. If you would like to wait until new API is available then this will be in early January. I do see that details regarding the API V2 might have been omitted accidently when the roadmap was getting updated last week so I will get this fixed asap.

In regards to updates you can check  release notes  where you can see tons of work has been done to the B2B portal, POS & ecommerce integrations in the last few month alone. For future & in progress development please view our development roadmap.

• I add my vote to the Zapier integration.  It's a big gap in your connectors.

Michael

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment

34 people like this idea