search-icon

Material Requirements Planning Module Improvements

started a topic about 4 years ago

The Material Requirements Planning module is aimed at addressing the needs of the production process. New production features will provide our current customers with powerful, logical manufacturing solutions to add to their inventory solution.

For more information, see Getting Started.

We would like to know your thoughts on how to further improve this module.

- DEAR Team

9 people like this idea
  • Hi Alina

we achieve this in our factory by having a separate document that is completed by the production team during production. This is then attached to the production order via the "Attachments" tab. We have added a step at the beginning of the production process to ensure the team downloads the document, there is a link in the Production BOM, and again a step at the end to remind them to upload the document to the production order.

Just an alternative suggestion.

• Hi Elena

I would like to suggest an improvement to the Co-Pack / Co-Manufacturing feature. Currently to get the system to work you have to allocate a Shopfloor when raising the production order. The only shopfloors that are available are the one that we have set up for our manufacturing facility, so not relevant for a Co-Packed product. Requiring you to select a meaningless shop floor for production. 

My request is that when "Type - Co-Manufacturing" is specified in the BoM the system adds the Option "Co-Manufaturing" to the Shop floor dropdown in the production Order creation screen.

Thank you

• Hello,

Alina thank you for suggestion, we'll review it.

Eddie, how are you? Glad to hear from you again. 

Please let me ensure that we are on the same page. You mean the full co-manufacturing scenario when the whole order is produced outside your shopfloor, don't you?

Do you use Transfer components mode to supply co-manufacturer with components? If yes, then, maybe, having some "co-man" shopfloor set up with its logistic path will be useful because in this case the components will be transferred from the warehouse connected to this "co-man" shopfloor directly.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,

Elena

• Hi Elena

Good to hear from you to :) 

Yes I am talking about full co-manufacturing. We do use a stock transfer to move material to our co-packer, however we have not set up a logistics path as once you have selected the location as a co-manufacturer you are not able to select it as a shop floor (hence my request above) and for the logistic path to be set up you need to specify the shop floor - you can not select co-manufacturer - another improvement as you suggest.

Many thanks for your support

KR

Eddie

• on behalf of  yasmine.elghribe@rheolution.com

Once a production order is released I'm not able to change the resource assigned anymore. However I can modify the resource for the production run in that order.

I would like the change in production run to appear on the scheduler as an update. 

• Hello Eddie,

Thank you for your suggestion. 

We will think about the solution. Maybe one of the option can be setting up logistics path for co-man location similar to shopfloor logistics path.

Please let me know if this option suits you.

Best regards,

Elena

• Hello Andrew,

How are you?

The reason why we don't do auto-replanning in such case is a high chance of shifting of all other orders. I.e. when resource is changed in the course of production and allocated instead of the other resources, the schedule for all orders where these 2 resources takes part becomes not valid. For example, today you look at the scheduling and see that 10 orders should be completed today, but then you change resource and see that none of the orders will be completed today and they all shifted. This may cause confusion for the people who do planning. 

We may consider such option as a separate feature: some Auto-replan button by pressing which the schedule will be updated according to all changes of resources done.

Best regards,

Elena

• Hi Elena

that would work especially as we have a specified location we ship to from the Co-Manufacturer

Many thanks

Eddie

• Hi All,

It would be good to have an option to print out Production BOM and it's versions in the Product Profile page rather than just having this option in the actual Production Order. 

Thanks

• It would be very useful to have Related orders generated from Nested BOMs shown with connecting arrows on the scheduler so linked production runs can be seen with their dependencies.  It would be useful in the view and really help the scheduling (Edit Mode) function. 

Linked In the same way that Production Runs within a single Production Order are shown with linking arrows: - 

It would also be useful to tag the Nested Production Orders with a common name.   So you could limit the data shown on the scheduler to a single production run of a finished good that has multiple Nested (related) Production Orders within it.

• Posting on behalf of Brett Monaghan

Manual Error Eliminating in Splitting batches and passing over batches. (currently this is done manually)

1) In Production, the ability to split-pick components into multiple lines (Special Batch).

RM000076

Example. (all available batches show on pop-up and requirement is automatically calculated based on 1 input.

2) In Assembly, When needed to pass-over batches so if the first batch cannot complete the order, it's not split but the batch that can complete order is automatically selected. (Special Batch)

• Implement an alert if there's a discrepancy in the Required/Expected Quantity vs. Actual Quantity. Three problematic scenarios include (a) the incorrect product is picked, (b) not enough of a component was picked or (c) too many of a component were picked in a Production Run using the scan method of input.

• Hello John Harley,

Please see our comments regarding your suggestion:

"It's a critical problem for us as we run standalone sub-assemblies to  use up raw materials and speed up final assembly so when a sub assembly  is nested in a production order the system needs to check availability  before generating the additional (nested) production order.   If it  doesn't check availability, it tells us to build too many of each sub  assembly - or worse, it generates a new production order for the sub  assembly that isn't required as we have available stock on the shelf.

It  just requires an additional check before determining requirements and  therefore Production Orders to generate.   It just needs to look at  available stock in the same location and remove that from the quantity  required.   If the calc is less than zero (ie more is already in stock  than is required for the production order) then no new Production Order  is generated."

Please note that creation of the nested Production Order is subjected to the General Settings -> Production Process customization settings -> On Order Release produce (https://support.dearsystems.com/support/solutions/articles/1000134073-general-settings#Production)

Depending on the settings the quantity of the nested Production BOM component is calculated. When the quantity is calculated, the system checks if there is available quantity in shopfloor. If no, the system checks the connected (by Logistics path) to shopfloor warehouse. IN case if there are some quantity of the nested Production BOM in warehouse, the Transfer Order is created to move the components to shopfloor.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Elena

• Hi Elena

In response to your comment this morning:

"Please note that creation of the nested Production Order is subjected to the General Settings -> Production Process customization settings -> On Order Release produce(https://support.dearsystems.com/support/solutions/articles/1000134073-general-settings#Production)

Depending on the settings the quantity of the nested Production BOM component is calculated. When the quantity is calculated, the system checks if there is available quantity in shopfloor. If no, the system checks the connected (by Logistics path) to shopfloor warehouse. IN case if there are some quantity of the nested Production BOM in warehouse, the Transfer Order is created to move the components to shopfloor."

Unfortunately this is not the case. Your reference to the support solutions article is out of date as the setting sections have changed and the "On Order Release" produce option is not available:

Also the system does not behave as you describe and does not look for available stock in the associated warehouse (now called "component"). This is still an outstanding issue which I raised under ticket no. #165676 5 months ago. Unfortunately this is just one of a long list of functionalities in DEAR that do not work as prescribed or are incompatible with each other.

KR

Eddie

•  Hello Eddie,

How are you?

As for General Settings, yes, the calculatuion of the quantity for the nested Production BOM products will be executed when "Create Production Order" setting is set to "When order is authorised".

Please let me show my sample:

I have the following settings:

This means that when I create Production Order manually by Authorise button the order will be released.

I have Product D with the Production BOM:

Where Product C, in its turn, is a nested Production BOM product and has Production BOM:

So, when I release order for Product D, the Product C should be moved from the warehouse in case if it is available there.

I have the availability for Product C:

20 items are available in Warehouse and no any items are available in shopfloor.

I create a Production Order for Product D for 20 items and authorise it.

There were created 2 orders for Product C:

The first order: Transfer Order from Warehouse with the Product C for 20 items:

The second order, Production Order for Product C for 20 items:

I have 2 orders because:

I have "On Order Release Produce" set to "Quantity required and maintain stock level quantity". Stock level quantity is set for the Product C in General data:

Stock level quantity = Minimum before reorder + Reorder quantity = 10 + 10 = 20
    So, according to my settings, I need to produce the amount of Product C which will cover the demand raised by Product D and stock level should remain 20.
    Quantity for Product C = demand raised by Product D: the quantity of component Product C in the loaded to order Production BOM + (Product C Minimum Before Reorder + Product C Reorder Quantity - Product C On Order - Product C Available in Shopfloor). Please note that when we calculate the quantity On Order and Available for Product C, we consider it only for Shopfloor.
    Thus, Quantity for Product C = 20 + (10 + 10 - 0 - 0) = 40
    To cover the stock level and demand raised by Product D I need 40 items of Product C.
    The system checks if there are any Product C quantity available in the Warehouse. I have 20 items of Product C in the warehouse.
    The system creates Transfer Order to deliver the available Product C from warehouse to shopfloor.
    But it is still needed to produce 20 items of Product C since initially I need 40 items.
    The system creates Production Order for 20 items of Product C.

As for calculation of the demand for nested Production BOM products when setting is set to "Via Smart Reordering": we are working at the moment on the MRP features which will allow the users to plan/reorder/transfer products based on the calculated demand.

Please let me know your scenario in details and in what exact situations the availability for nested Production BOM product is not considered in the connected warehouse?

Best regards,
    Elena

Login or Signup to post a comment

9 people like this idea