Xero Tracking Categories are used to see how different areas of your business are performing. For example, you may want to see how sale reps, locations, jobs and other categories are performing compared to others of the same type. Learn more about Tracking Categories in Xero.
Users will need the Integration: Accounting - Xero permission in order to use this feature.
Xero allows up to two active tracking categories at a time. You can map these tracking categories to values from your DEAR document headers. Each time data is synced from DEAR to Xero, tracking categories will be populated with mapped values from DEAR.
The following DEAR values can be mapped to Xero Tracking Categories:
- Sale Rep
- Product Family
- Product Attributes*
- Customer Attributes*
- Supplier Attributes*
*Up to 10 additional attributes can be specified for products, customers and suppliers. See Additional Attributes for more information.
Set up tracking parameters in Xero:
- In Xero, navigate to Accounting → Advanced → Tracking Categories.
- Click Add Tracking Category to create new tracking categories in Xero. Then you can enter a category name. You can also add category options if you want. Only two active categories can exist at any one time and you cannot add a new tracking category until an existing one has been archived or deleted.
NOTE: Values from mapped DEAR fields will be passed to Xero and displayed on your Xero invoice even if they are not one of the category options in Xero.
- You will then need to go back to DEAR and map the information to be populated into these Xero Tracking Categories.
- In DEAR, navigate to Integration → Xero → Integration Settings.
- The tracking categories set up in Xero will now appear on the left as Category 1 and Category 2. Choose which DEAR information you want to map to the tracking category and click Save Changes.
Now let's see what happens when we create an invoice and sync to Xero. Below is the sale invoice in DEAR showing the fields we have chosen to map to Xero Tracking Categories.
When we sync the invoice to Xero, it will send over the Sales Rep and Location details to display on the Xero Invoice. This information can then be used in the same way as any other Xero tracking category.