Non-inventory products are allowed to be purchased or sold without checking for their availability in stock. Since these products do not affect inventory, they cannot be reordered, backordered, restocked, or unstocked.
Examples of non-inventory items include:
- items purchased for a specific job and then quickly sold or invoiced to a customer
- items that your organisation sells but does not purchase, including Bill of Material (BOM) items
- items that your organisation purchases but does not resell, including office supplies
- items that your organisation purchases and resells but does not track in inventory.
Like all products in DEAR, non-inventory products are set up on the Products page. For a product to be classified as non-inventory, the product type should be set to Non-Inventory when adding it to DEAR.
- Product and Service Management (required)
- Processing a Sale (recommended)
- Processing a Purchase (recommended)
- Advanced Purchase - Partial Orders/Deliveries (recommended)
Table of Contents:
Adding a Non-Inventory Product
Go to Inventory > New > Product/Service. Alternatively, go to Inventory > Products, then on the All Products page, click the + icon.
- On the Add New Product page, enter the product name and select Non-Inventory from the list of product types.
- Either select the category and unit of measure from their respective lists, or enter a new category and unit of measure for the product by clicking the + icons to the right of these fields.
- Select the applicable costing method from the list.
- Enter an expense account to which the product will be charged. The expense account will also serve as the asset account and inventory account.
- Optionally, enter a quantity greater than the default 0 value in the Always show quantity box. This is particularly useful if the product is a component in a Bill of Materials (BOM) product since it will be available for up to the number specified in this box. If DEAR detects that the component is no longer available, the BOM will not be created.
- All the other product details, aside from those in Steps 3-5 above, are not required. Enter these other details as necessary.
- Click Save.
- Non-inventory products can be created from the Sales, Purchase, and Advanced Purchase pages.
- Non-inventory products are excluded from the Sales Profit Summary and Sales by Product Details reports.
- Non-inventory products cannot be auto- or manually-disassembled.
- Non-inventory products cannot have additional units of measure.
- Cost transactions will NOT be generated during sales of non-inventory items.
- If a non-inventory product is used as a BOM component, it won’t add any costs to the assembled product because its cost was written off at the time of purchase. In addition, the assembled BOM isn’t allocated to inventory, and all costs go to the BOM’s expense account.
- If DEAR is integrated with e-commerce or shipment services, non-inventory items will be sent to the channels in the same way as other inventory items.
- Current Average Cost is editable on a non-inventory item's Product Details page.
- If a non-inventory item is set as Always Drop Ship or Optional Drop Ship, during the sale process, the item will be processed as Always Drop Ship.
- In the Advanced Purchases page, Put Away operation for non-inventory products is NOT available. If all items in a task are non-inventory products, an empty Put Away task can be authorised manually. If there is a mix of inventory and non-inventory items in a task, non-inventory items must be excluded from the Put Away task for authorisation.
- Non-inventory products are not available for write-off tasks. They are not shown on the Products list when writing off inventory (see Inventory Write-off task).