Sales in DEAR POS are performed on the POS Checkout page, which is accessible from the Sell>Register menu. From here, you can create sales, add products to the sale, and add any information related to the sale. You can also discard or clear the sale record, and park it for later use. Payment can then be entered for a sales order with all the required information.
DEAR POS has an offline sales feature that allows it to accept and cache sales transactions even while a register is offline. The transactions are pushed to the DEAR POS server once the register goes back online.
- See DEAR POS - Getting Started and Integration
- Barcode scanner, if applicable
Table of Contents
- Adding a Product to a Sale
- Deleting a Product from a Sale
- Adding Optional Information to a Sale
- Discarding/Parking a Sale
- Entering a Payment for a Sale
Adding a Product to a Sale
The first step in the DEAR POS sales process is to add products to the sale.
To Add a Product to a Sales Order
You can add one or more products to a sales order.
- In the DEAR POS menu, click Sell, then Register.
- On the POS Checkout page, you may either search for the product to be sold or scan the product using a barcode scanner.
- Click the product from the list to add it to the right-hand side of the screen.
- Expand the product view by clicking it, then edit the quantity, if needed.
- Optionally, you may change the price or enter a discount by clicking the Price box. To edit the product's price, proceed to Step 6. To enter a discount, skip to Step 7.
- On the Price or % Discount window, edit the price, then click the Price button at the bottom.
- On the Price or % Discount window, enter a discounted price, then click the Percent button at the bottom.
To add more products to the sale, repeat the procedure from Step 3 onward.
To Add a Discount to the Total Sales Amount
After adding products to the sale, the total amount is displayed below the list of products added to the order. Optionally, you can apply a discount to the total amount. The discount may be either a fixed amount or a percentage discount.
- On the POS Checkout page, click the Add Discount button to open the Discount window. To add a fixed amount, proceed to Step 2. To add a percentage discount, skip to Step 3.
- Enter the amount by pressing the appropriate numbers, then clicking the Fixed button on the bottom left. Skip to Step 4.
- Enter the percent value by pressing the appropriate numbers, then click the Percent button on the bottom right.
- The total sales amount is then updated based on the computed discount. To change the discount, click the Discount button, then repeat the procedure.
NOTES: DEAR POS users with Can Give Discount permissions are the only ones that can add discounts to sales. In addition, a warning message will pop up every time the discount is changed. To prevent this message from appearing again, check the Do not show this warning again box on the message.
To Edit or Delete a Tax Amount or Rule
After adding a product and/or discount to the sales order, if the product includes a tax amount greater than 0, you are given the option to edit the tax amount or rule in the sales order. You can also delete a tax amount or rule entirely from the sale. You can also add a new tax amount or rule to replace a deleted amount or rule.
- On the POS Checkout page, click the tax amount.
- On the EditTaxes window, the Detailed tab is selected by default. To delete a tax rate for an individual product, proceed to Step 2. To delete a tax rule from the order, skip to Step 4.
- On the Detailed tab, the taxes per individual product are displayed. You can either edit or delete the tax amount for a product. If you delete a tax amount, you can select another amount from the list to replace the deleted amount. Once you are done with your changes, skip to Step 5.
- On the Combined tab, the tax rules for each product in the order are displayed. You can edit or delete a tax rule on the entire order. When you edit a tax rule, the changes are carried over to all products to which the rule is applied. If you delete a tax rule, you can select another rule from the list to replace the deleted rule. Once you are done with your changes, proceed to Step 5.
- Click Save. Back on the POS Checkout page, your updates are reflected in a new tax amount.
Deleting a Product from a Sale
Products added to a sale can be deleted in case a customer decides not to buy them anymore. The prices of the deleted products are subtracted from the total sales amount.
To delete a product from a sale, click the Delete button to the right of the product.
Adding Optional Information to the Sale
After adding a product and/or discount to the sales order, you can add a customer, sales rep, quick sale, or sales note to the order. For Layby or On Account sales, you need to add a customer to the sale. The rest of this optional information may be skipped.
To Add a Customer
This step is required for Layby and On Account sales. It is optional for all other sales types.
- On the POS Checkout page, click the Add button that can be found just above the Pay button, then click Customer.
Alternatively, click the Pay button at the bottom of the page, then click the Add a customer link.
- On the Add Customer to the sale window, either search for the customer or look for the customer in the list. Since only the first 10 customer records are shown in the list, a search is the most viable option for accounts with numerous customers. If you don't find the customer in the list, proceed to Step 3. Otherwise, skip to Step 4.
- If the customer is not in the list of current customers, click the Add a new customer button at the top of the Add Customer to the sale window, then enter the customer details on the Create a new customer window.
- To add the customer, click the Customer record. This closes the Add Customer window and takes you back to the POS Checkout page, where the customer name is now displayed near the top right.
To Add a Sales Rep
- On the POS Checkout page, click the Add button that can be found just above the Pay button, then click Sales Rep.
- On the Add Sales Rep window, either search for the sales rep or look for the sales rep in the list. Since only the first 10 customer records are shown in the list, a search is the most viable option for accounts with numerous sales reps.
- To add the sales rep, click the Sales Rep's record in the list. This closes the Add Sales Rep window and takes you back to the POS Checkout page, where the sales rep's name is now displayed near the top right.
To Add a Quick Sale to the Order
- On the POS Checkout page, click the Add button that can be found just above the Pay button, then click Quick Sale.
- On the Add Quick Sale window, enter the product name, quantity, and price, then click the Add button on the top right to close the window. Back on the POS Checkout page, the quick sale's details are now displayed.
To Add a Sale Note to the Order
- On the POS Checkout page, click the Add button that can be found just above the Pay button, then click Sale Note.
- On the Sale Note window, enter the sale note in the box, then click Done.
- Back on the POS Checkout page, the sale note is now displayed near the top.
NOTE: Optional information added to a sale may be deleted by clicking the X button to its right.
Discarding/Parking a Sale
Sales orders that have not yet been completed may be discarded (or deleted) or parked (saved for further use).
To Discard a Sale
Once discarded, the sale is cleared from the system and can no longer be retrieved for use later on.
- On the POS Checkout page, click the Discard button that can be found just above the Pay button.
- On the confirmation message, click the Clear Sale button on the top right to clear the sale order.
To Park a Sale
In contrast to discarded sales, parked sales can be retrieved and edited, whereupon a payment for the sale can be recorded in the system.
- On the POS Checkout page, click the Park button that can be found just above the Pay button.
- On the confirmation message, enter the reason for parking the sale, then click the Park button on the top right to park the sales record.
NOTE: To retrieve a parked sale, click Sell, then Parked Sales in the DEAR POS menu.
Recording a Payment for a Sale
Once the required information is entered, the payment can be accepted for the sales order.
To record a payment:
- On the POS Checkout page, click the Pay button at the bottom. This opens the Sale Summary page, with the left panel showing the summarised information about the sale.
- Select from among the available payment options. Normally, only Cash, Credit Card, or Gift Card are available. However, If you added a customer (see To Add a Customer), you may also enter the sale as Layby or On Account. If the customer has an existing store credit account, you may select Store Credit as an option.
- Once payment is entered, you are taken to the Sale Complete page, where you can either print a receipt for the sale or enter another sales transaction.
IMPORTANT! For offline sales, transactions are queued until the DEAR server becomes available again to accept them. If there is a delay in processing the transactions, a message giving the reasons appears in the header of the DEAR POS application. The message disappears once offline transactions are successfully processed.
Printing a Sales Receipt
Sales receipts are printed from the Sale Complete page, which appears after a customer pays for the order.
To print a sales receipt: