Users can enter receipts for any spending they have incurred on behalf of the business and submit these receipts as an Expense Claim. Authorised users can view and approve Expense Claims from this module.
NOTE: If you are using Xero as your accounting system, this function will not be available in DEAR. You can manage your receipts and expense claims through your accounting system.
Table of Contents
Add a Receipt to an Expense Claim
To add a new receipt to your current expense claim:
- Navigate to Financials → Receipts.
- Click + to add a new receipt/expense claim.
- Enter supplier details, employee, date of the expense.
- NOTE: Default currency will be displayed, but this can be changed if this is an expense incurred for example during overseas travel. If a different currency is selected, you will be given an exchange rate applicable to that date (DEAR downloads the latest exchange rates from openexchangerates.org). However, this rate can be manually overwritten as it is most likely that the bank would have given a different rate.
- Select the applicable tax rule and then select the account that this transaction will need to be coded to.
- For each item of the expense claim, click + or Add more Items and enter the Quantity and Price. The tax rule & account applicable to this transaction will be pre-populated from the document header but can be changed if required for every line on the receipt.
- In the Attachments tab, you can add various supporting documents to substantiate your claim such as a scanned copy of the invoice/receipt.
- Once you are happy with all the details, click Save and proceed to the next stage.
- Navigate back to Financials → Receipts. In this screen you can see a list of all submitted and draft expense claims.
- On the left hand side, select the expense claim you would like to submit for approval and click the Submit for Approval button. Confirm the approval message to submit the claim.
Approve an Expense Claim
Only users with authorisation can approve expense claims.
To approve an Expense Claim:
- Navigate to Financials → Expense Claims.
- Click on a claim with Pending status.
- Review the expense claim and click Approve or Decline.
- The next step is to select the Payment Due Date & Effective Date and click Authorise. Once the receipt is authorised, you can apply payment to it when this expense is reimbursed.