Pinch payments lets you automatically take direct debit and credit card payments for your one-off and recurring invoices. Pinch automatically reconciles with Xero.
- Pinch payments can only be integrated to DEAR accounts with Xero. (required)
- Manage document and email templates. (recommended)
Table of Contents:
Connect Pinch and DEAR
You will need an existing Xero account connected to your DEAR account in order to connect and reconcile payments. Once you have connected, you can move the next step and add a Pinch payment link to your invoice templates in DEAR so customers can make their payments.
- Go to the Pinch registration page by clicking HERE and complete the registration form shown below:
- You will be prompted to log into your Xero account and Authorise Pinch to access the Xero account you use for managing payments. When connecting to DEAR, the only information Pinch collects from Xero is details of your chart of accounts to perform bank reconciliation. The rest of the data Pinch needs is collected from DEAR.
- Once you have authorised access to your Xero file, you will need to supply Pinch with the bank account you would like to be paid into. At this point, Pinch will also need the date of birth and identification number of a director, executive or other shareholder with 25% or more holdings for verification purposes.
- Next you'll need to select which bank account in Xero Pinch should help you reconcile. This bank account should be the same bank account you entered details for in the previous step.
- Additionally, if you choose to upload a logo, Pinch will show it on the payment page when one of your clients clicks the invoice link from DEAR.
- Click the Next button when finished. This will take you to the DEAR Configuration section in the Pinch setup. To finish this section you will need to complete the next couple of steps in the DEAR web portal, so leave this page open.
- Log in to your DEAR Inventory account and go to Integration from the left side menu and then click DEAR API. You might be required to upgrade your DEAR Inventory account subscription if you have already reached your external integration limit.
- Then click the + button to create a new API Application, name the new API Application (you can name this API Application anything you like but we recommend calling it Pinch or Pinch Payments so you know what it is), and then click the Create button.
- From your newly created API Application in DEAR Inventory, copy the Account ID and Key.
- Back in your Pinch account, paste the Account ID you copied from DEAR Inventory into the DEAR Account ID field in Pinch and paste the Key you copied from DEAR Inventory into the DEAR Account Key field in Pinch.
- Click the Finish button to complete the connection.
Once you have connected your DEAR, Xero and Pinch accounts, the next step is to add a Pinch payment link to your DEAR invoices.
Add a Pinch payment link to an invoice template
Once you have connected DEAR and Pinch, adding a Pinch payment link to your DEAR invoices will enable your customers to make their payments directly from your sent invoices, then reconciled with your Xero account.
See Manage document and email templates for more information about editing templates in DEAR. DEAR also have a dedicated template team on hand to help with template questions, so do not hesitate to get in touch with DEAR support if you are having difficulties.
- From your Pinch account, go to the integrations page and click on Manage Connection under the Manage connection to DEAR Inventory option and copy the DEAR Invoice Link.
- Head back into your DEAR Inventory account and go to Settings → Document & e-Mail templates from the left side menu.
- Click an existing Invoice Template that you would like the Pinch Payment link to be used on, or click the default Invoice template to create a new invoice template with the Pinch Payment link. Then, click Download Template. This will download the template in .docx format.
- Open the downloaded invoice template in Word and on a new line underneath the Invoice Number heading in the left column, Insert a link by going to Insert → Links → Link → Insert Link.
- Type Pay Online Now in the Text to Display field, then type a placeholder (for example, TEST) in the Address field, and then click the OK button.
- Press Alt + F9 at the same time to toggle field codes (this allows you to update mergefields and hyperlinks). Highlight and right click on the TEST text between the double inverted commas in the hyperlink you created and paste the DEAR Client Link you copied from Pinch earlier by choosing the Keep Text Only paste option under the Paste Options.
- If you need to copy the DEAR Client Link again you can log in to your Pinch account and go to the Integrations page from the left side menu and click on Manage Connection under the Manage connection to DEAR Inventory option.
- Highlight and right click an existing mergefield for the Invoice Number (there should be one located directly about the hyperlink you added or somewhere in the invoice header fields) and choose the Copy option.
- Click between the = and the " at the end of the hyperlink you created to place your cursor, then left click and choose Merge Formatting paste option under the Paste Options.
- Press Ctrl + A at the same time to highlight everything and then press F9 once (this updates fields which will process your new hyperlink and mergefield).
- Press Alt + F9 at the same time to toggle field codes back off (returns you to your original view). Hover over the Pay Online Now hyperlink and ensure the link ends with invoice=«InvoiceNumber» (if it doesn't, please reach out to Pinch be sending an email to email@example.com).
- Save and close the Word Document.
- Head back into your DEAR Inventory account and go to Settings and then Document & e-Mail templates from the left side menu.
- Click the Invoice template that you downloaded to edit an existing template, or click New template to create a new invoice template, then click Browse under the Choose a document template section and choose the previously downloaded and edited Word Document, and then click the Save button.
- To test that it has worked, go to an Invoice in DEAR Inventory and choose your Invoice Template that you modified from the E-mail button, and then click the Download link next to your Invoice Template.
Open the downloaded PDF and test the Pay Online Now link to ensure it opens the Pinch payment page for that Invoice number (if it doesn't, please reach out to Pinch be sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org).
Congratulations! Now when you send an Invoice using that modified Invoice Template your clients will be able to click the link and pay online via Pinch.
To contact Pinch Payments support, email email@example.com.