Here are some common errors you may experience while using DEAR with QBO integration and how to resolve them. If you are still unable to resolve your problem, please do not hesitate to get in touch with DEAR support.
Users will need the Integration: Accounting - Quickbooks permission in order to use this feature.
Table of Contents
- Duplication of COGS entries
- Inactive Products in QuickBooks Online appearing in DEAR
- Syncing Sale COGS 'Pending'
- Product Version Errors in QuickBooks
- Sync History in DEAR shows 'Pending' Products
- Sync History in DEAR shows Completed Status with Processing Errors
- Taxable Sales does not equal Tax Collected in QBO Report
- Syncing Errors due to Duplicate Product Names
- QuickBooks gets disconnected from DEAR
- Credit note errors in QuickBooks after synchronisation with DEAR
- Export of Journal Entries from DEAR to QuickBooks fails due to non-unique Reference Numbers
- Customer prepayments not syncing to QBO
- Transactions can only have one foreign currency at a time
- Revenue account mapping
Duplication of COGS entries
DEAR does not support quantity or inventory tracking in QBO. If quantity tracking or inventory tracking is turned on in QBO, you may have duplicate COGS entries created in QuickBooks due to both systems creating their own COGS entries for the same transaction and experience errors during synchronisation.
Turn off quantity/inventory tracking in QBO:
- In QBO, navigate to Settings → Your Company → Accounts and Settings, then click the Sales tab.
- In Products and Services, ensure Track quantity and price/rate and Track inventory quantity on hand are turned Off.
- Save your changes to finish.
If you have previously turned on inventory tracking for an item and created transactions with an item in QBO, COGS entries will be created by QBO using some previously recorded amount. This is the case even if global settings are set to NOT track item quantity.
To resolve the issue, the old products need to be deleted and new products created. You can replace all the products at once to fix the issue. In DEAR, navigate to Integrations → QuickBooks → Replacing Products in QuickBooks from DEAR and click Replace Products. All existing items in QuickBooks will be rewritten with products from DEAR.
Inactive Products in QuickBooks Online appearing in DEAR
Making a product inactive in QuickBooks Online will NOT deprecate nor delete the product from DEAR. Once you have made a product inactive in QBO, you must manually deprecate the product in DEAR.
Make a product inactive in DEAR:
- In DEAR, go to Inventory → Products → View All.
- Change the product status from Active to Deprecated.
- This can also be done in bulk. For more information, see Product Management.
- To delete the products, go to Inventory → Products and click More → Delete Deprecated Products.
Syncing Sale COGS 'Pending'
A pending COGS Sale entry won't synchronise.
This is due to the user making a change in the QBO Chart of Accounts without syncing all DEAR transactions first. If you have recently made changes to the Chart of Accounts, email DEAR support at email@example.com to tell us how to remap them back to the old account codes in DEAR.
Product Version Errors in QuickBooks
Each Item within QBO has a version which is auto-incremented after the product is updated in QBO. In case the user forgets that an item's data was changed in QBO and the product version was modified, the user will be notified saying that the 'Item version already exists in QBO' during synchronisation between DEAR and QBO.
Resolve product version errors:
- Make sure that priority is given to the product fields in DEAR when editing Item fields in QBO and DEAR.
- If changes have been made to a product in DEAR and the same product name does exist in QBO, the QuickBooks identification for DEAR will automatically sync the product version from DEAR into QBO. In this case, products in DEAR have the priority. However, empty account fields won't be exported to QuickBooks.
- When a new product is created in DEAR and the same product with the same name already exists in QBO, the new product in DEAR will be identified and the DEAR product will be synced through to QBO.
- If there are two (2) DEAR products associated with one (1) QBO product and we change a property in one of the DEAR products, then QBO will receive the changes only for the single product. The second DEAR product will be synced only during the next sync.
- When two (2) DEAR products are associated with one (1) QBO product, change the name of one of the DEAR products and the new product will be synced into QBO and the renamed DEAR product will be associated with the new/existing QBO product.
Sync History in DEAR shows 'Pending' Products
To allow fine-grained control over your transactions, tax rules in DEAR are assigned to individual order lines, products, sales/purchases, and suppliers/customers (for more information, see Tax Rules).
During synchronisation, if a product lacks a tax rule and DEAR cannot find the applicable tax rule in order lines, sales/purchases and suppliers/customers applicable to the product, DEAR will not sync it back to QBO. Instead, it will display the product as 'pending' in sync history. To resolve this issue:
- Go to Inventory → Products, and search for the 'pending' product.
- Open the product record, then set the Product Tax Rule and Sale Tax Rule to the applicable tax rules.
- Click Save.
Sync History in DEAR shows Completed Status with Processing Errors
This error means that DEAR tried to send the data to QuickBooks/Xero but failed to receive a response either due to a server restart or some unexpected error. In this case, the sync status shows the entry as Completed to prevent it from being exported to QBO/Xero again, resulting in duplicated data. You can manually change the status from Completed to Pending, allowing the entry to be resynced if it is not yet in QBO/Xero.
Taxable Sales does not equal Tax Collected in QBO Report
QBO users have raised an issue related to sales taxes being charged against Shopify customers. In particular, the Sales Tax Liability Report in QuickBooks shows discrepancies between the taxable sales when multiplied by a customer's tax rate – the taxable sales doesn’t equal the tax that was collected/stated in the report.
This error is caused by Daily Consolidation of sales from Shopify. US tax rules may differ based on the customer's shipping address – this is why you see different tax rules on an invoice from DEAR. Since tax is calculated by Shopify, and QuickBooks US doesn't support multiple taxation in one invoice, discrepancies in the taxable amount may result. The easiest way to get correct taxes in QuickBooks is to change Daily consolidation to No Consolidation in your Shopify store going forward.
Syncing Errors Due to Duplicate Product Names
When syncing the DEAR product catalogue with QBO, duplicate product names will lead to errors, leading to sync failures. This can often be resolved using the following process:
- On the QBO Integration page, disconnect the DEAR product catalogue from QBO.
- Clear duplicate product names from the DEAR product catalogue.
- On the QBO Integration page, re-export products from DEAR to QBO.
For more information, see Replacing Products in QBO.
QuickBooks gets disconnected from DEAR
If your DEAR account somehow gets disconnected from QuickBooks, although it was running fine previously, do not disconnect QuickBooks. To reconnect safely, without messing up anything, it is recommended to just re-run the sync process with QuickBooks. This should restore the connection.
Credit note errors in QuickBooks after synchronisation with DEAR
After a payment is recorded in DEAR and synchronisation with QuickBooks is completed, you may see invoices/credit note amounts being set to 0 in QBO.
This is the expected behaviour in QBO when a refund is created in DEAR and a credit note is added. It changes the credit note to 0 in DEAR in case of a full refund and it will create a new object in QuickBooks called Return, with bank payment info + line details.
What happens when a refund is issued in DEAR?
1. It changes the credit note amount to 0.
2. It creates a Return transaction in QBO.
Check the activity logs to show that the credit notes were refunded in DEAR.
Export of Journal Entries from DEAR to QuickBooks fails due to non-unique Reference Numbers
When synchronising DEAR with QuickBooks, you may encounter the following error message:
- Failed to export a journal entry for <transaction> from DEAR to QuickBooks: Reference number is not unique, please specify a unique value.
This means that a QuickBooks advanced setting for duplicate journal numbers is turned on (see the screenshot below). Turning off the setting should resolve this synchronisation error.
Customer prepayments not syncing to QBO
A common problem which stops customer prepayments syncing to QBO is caused by incorrect tax configuration for a Customer Credit product. It should have 0-rated sales tax mapped. If a non-zero tax rule mapped, an error will be generated and prepayments will not sync. Changing the sale tax rule to any tax rule with 0 effective rate will fix the issue.
Transactions can only have one foreign currency at a time
During export to QBO it is possible to receive the error 'Transactions can only have one foreign currency at a time'. This is caused by differing currencies in the credit and debit accounts of the transaction. Please check for currency discrepancies between accounts, for example, inventory accounts, customer accounts, A/P and A/R, base currency in DEAR and QBO.
Revenue account mapping
All products and services in QBO must have an account to which they are mapped. This mapping will always override the revenue account mapping in DEAR. Unfortunately there is no way to override this from DEAR. Please note:
- Customer-level revenue account mapping in DEAR will be overridden by the product-level mapping in QBO
- Product level revenue account mapping in DEAR should match the QBO account mapping.