ShipStation can be connected to DEAR both as a store and as a shipping service. See here for more information about connecting ShipStation as a store. Store and Shipping Service are mutually exclusive and cannot be connected at the same time. If you attempt to connect both, you will receive a message in DEAR asking if you wish to change the integration type.
NOTE: Take extra care to make sure weight units, dimension units and currency match those of your ShipStation account to ensure correct shipping rates in DEAR.
- Familiarity with Processing a Sale
- Familiarity with Product and Service Management
ShipStation account settings currency MUST match with DEAR base currency, set via Settings → General Settings.
ShipStation account settings units MUST match with DEAR default units, set via Settings → General Settings.
Table of Contents
- Connect ShipStation as a Shipping Service
- Using Shipping rate estimates
- Printing Shipping Labels
Connect ShipStation as a Shipping Service
Connect ShipStation as a Shipping Service:
- Go to Integration → ShipStation.
- Click + to make a new connection.
- Enter your API key and API secret key (you can get these from the API settings on your ShipStation account).
- Click Connect ShipStation as a Shipping Service.
- You can then proceed to choose the parameters of your settings.
Connecting ShipStation will take you to the integration settings page. From there, click the Shipping Service tab. Some ShipStation Integration settings can be customised. If you make any changes to the default settings, make sure to click Save Changes upon completing them. If more than one shipping service is connected, you can click Set Default to set ShipStation as your default service.
Default Ship From Address: If a shipping location does not have an address specified, this address will be used instead. Available options for this field are the default company address or the default location for your business.
Use Tax Rate From: This setting determines which tax rule will be applied to the shipping charge. Option 1 is to use Default tax rule for all customers and select from the drop-down of available tax rules (Tax Rule for Shipping). Option 2 is to use Customer tax rule, which is determined from customer details.
Weight Units in ShipStation: This sets the weight units to be used in ShipStation. This MUST match the weight units set under Settings → General Settings in DEAR.
Dimension Units in ShipStation: This sets the dimension units to be used in ShipStation. This MUST match the dimension units set under Settings → General Settings in DEAR.
Currency in ShipStation: This sets the currency to be used in ShipStation. This MUST match the currency value set under Settings → General Settings in DEAR.
Additional Shipping Margin: If margin value is set to Relative, it means that margin will be calculated using a percentage amount. If set as Absolute a fixed amount will be applied on top of the shipping cost. (E.g., Additional Shipping Margin = 20. If Relative is selected, a margin of 20% will be added to the shipping rate. If Absolute is selected, 20 units of the ShipStation currency will be added to the rate.)
Send Notification on Shipping Label Generation: Enable to trigger an internal notification on the generation of a shipping label.
From Contact on Shipping Label: This is auto-filled with your company name by default, but can be changed. This will appear on the shipping label.
Set Default: Set ShipStation as your default shipping service. Label printing will be done through ShipStation (relevant if multiple shipping services are connected). This option is not visible if ShipStation has already been set as your default shipping service.
Disconnect from ShipStation as a Shipping Service: Click this button to disconnect and stop using ShipStation.
There are some steps to set up before you can start using ShipStation to calculate rates. These can be skipped if you have done them already.
Set up addresses in DEAR
To correctly calculate shipping rates, you must first define where you are shipping from. Add addresses to all of your locations to make sure your shipping rates are accurate. Shipping addresses must be valid in order to calculate rates.
Set up addresses in DEAR:
- Go to Settings → Reference Books → Stock → Locations & Bins.
- You can add more locations with + or Add more items.
- Enter a name and address for each location.
- Save your changes.
Set up product dimensions
To correctly estimate shipping rates using shipping services, the correct dimensions must be added to the product in DEAR. See Product and Service Management for more information about setting up products.
Set up dimensions in DEAR:
- Go to Inventory → View All → Products.
- Select the product in question and at the bottom of the page, select the Dimensions tab.
- Enter the dimensions and dimension units of measure and Save the product.
Using Shipping Rate Estimates
Once the setup steps are complete, you can begin to estimate shipping rates on sale orders. This takes place at the quote/order stage of a sale. The rate is based from the location specified in the document to the customer's shipping address. Shipping rate quotes can only be generated for real addresses and for products that have dimensions and weight listed.
If DEAR receives an error during shipping rate estimate generation, an error message will appear with a downloadable .txt file with the error data. If the error is unexpected, the user will also see an email dialog box with attached error data log file which can be sent to the shipping service provider customer support.
Using Shipping Rate Estimates in DEAR
Shipping rate estimates in DEAR can be calculated at the Quote or Order stage of a sale order.
Get shipping rate estimates in DEAR:
- Create a sale order using Simple Sale or Advanced Sale.
- Add products to the order.
- Click Get Shipping Rates.
- Select ShipStation from the drop-down menu.
- A dialogue box will appear where you will need to select the CARRIER and SERVICE type, then click OK. Carriers and Services details are imported from ShipStation. The estimated shipping rate is shown next to each service.
- Select a service and click OK to add the shipping rate estimate to the additional charges section. You can now continue with the sale process until the Ship stage, where you will generate and print the shipping label.
NOTE: Make sure the shipping service currency is specified correctly in the Integration Settings. The shipping rate is imported into DEAR and, if necessary, a currency conversion applied to convert the shipping rate to the sale order currency.
Using Shipping Rate Estimates in B2B Portal
Only one shipping service can be selected to use with B2B Portal.
Get Shipping Rate Estimates in B2B Portal:
- Go to Integrations → DEAR B2B Portal.
- In the Setup tab, scroll down to Shipping Service and select ShipStation from the drop-down. Click Save.
- During CHECKOUT, the shipping methods from the selected shipping service will be automatically shown for the customer to select from in Step 3: Shipping Method
Print Shipping Labels
At the Ship stage, you can use the shipping service to generate a shipping label for the carrier and receive a tracking number.
If DEAR receives an error during shipping label generation, an error message will appear with a downloadable .txt file with the error data. If the error is unexpected, the user will also see an email dialog box with attached error data log file which can be sent to the shipping service provider customer support.
NOTE: Label Printing is not available for international shipping. The countries in the Shipping From and Shipping To addresses must match.
NOTE: ShipStation integration can be connected as a Shipping Service or as a Custom Store. Only one of the types should be enabled, or double labels will be printed.
Generate shipping labels using a shipping service:
- Use the normal sales process to create a sale order.
- In the document header, enter the shipping address.
- NOTE: Make sure the shipping address field and the location address are correct as they will be used by external integration for address verification.
- In the Ship tab, click Shipping Label
- Enter all the required fields marked with the red asterisk and click Generate Label.
- The carrier info will then be automatically filled in including the tracking number.
- The Shipping Label will be generated automatically via PDF and saved to the Attachments tab. You can also print the label by clicking on 'Shipping Label', and using the drop-down menu to select which shipment to print the label for.
NOTE: The template used to print the shipping label is generated on ShipStation side. DEAR just downloads the pdf from their API, it is not possible to change the shipping label template through DEAR.
Here are some questions our users have asked about Shippit Intgration. If you are still unable to find an answer to your question, do not hesitate to get in touch with the DEAR Support team.
Q: I encounter errors when trying to connect ShipStation to DEAR. Why?
A: When you're setting up your ShipStation integration, please make sure that the Login and Password you use in ShipStation belong to a User in DEAR (not ShipStation). This user needs to have access to a Single DEAR Organisation only, otherwise, you will get a 503 error in ShipStation.
Q: We received an error testing the connection to our DEAR store. The error states: 'The remote server returned an error: (300) Multiple Choices Redirect.'
A: If you see error 300, this means the user who is trying to connect ShipStation with DEAR is linked to more than one DEAR organisation. This prevents the data from being exported to ShipStation. You need to use a DEAR login that is linked to a single DEAR Organisation only.
Q: Some of my DEAR orders are not syncing to ShipStation. Why?
A: Find the relevant transaction, and check if you have data entered on the Ship and Invoice tabs. Although Ship and Invoice tabs can be left Unauthorised, it is required that you have Shipping information and Invoice lines in the said tabs.
Check if you have a complete and valid shipping address in the order, and also make sure that this address in the transaction is present and matching in the addresses listed under the customer setup, if not in the customer setup, you will need to create the address in the customer setup, matching the shipping address in the sale.
Q: A recurring order has not been populating into ShipStation. I have to enter manually each time. Advice?
A: This happens because the order has a Shipping Address that is not present on the Customer record. To fix the problem, you need to create an address for the customer matching the one on the sales record. You can then export the customer address out of DEAR and import it into ShipStation. You may need to trigger the Resend to ShipStation action after fixing the address. You can find all such sales on the ShipStation Integration page in DEAR.
Q: When I ship a product in ShipStation, tracking information is passed back from DEAR to Shopify but the tracking company isn't being properly mapped, so it's defaulting to another one. This means that the shipping emails contain bad tracking links – how can I properly map these values?
A: DEAR passes the shipping provider info to ShipStation – you need to map it to the correct provider in ShipStation. Check ShipStation Help on how to do this.
Q: Again in ShipStation, I'm noticing that people who use our free shipping don't have any shipping line items in their orders – how do I get that to show up? That info doesn't normally get passed.
A: DEAR doesn't pass shipping costs to ShipStation. We don't create zero cost lines in DEAR because Xero will reject whole invoices with zero costs.
Q: I have orders listed as backordered (because I hadn't loaded the SOH file yet) – I've reverted to Draft status and repacked them in DEAR, so they are listed as Shipping, but they aren't showing up in ShipStation. How do I handle this?
A: On the ShipStation setup page, you can see orders that are not ready for ShipStation. There is also a Reason column there. If the order is created from sales channels, the following is considered:
- The order has a valid shipping address with a state, zip and country.
- Pick, Pack and Ship all have data (the last tab not necessarily authorised).
Q: How long should it take for an order (simple sale) to transfer from DEAR to ShipStation? And should it transfer after authorising ship, or are there any other steps I need to take?
A: You can set up ShipStation to query sales periodically, either automatically or by the manual triggering of sale loading from ShipStation's Custom stores list. DEAR does not push data to ShipStation; we only return data back to ShipStation by request.