The Warehouse Management System (WMS) app allows you to perform warehouse operations pick, pack, receive inventory, stocktake, write-off) on inventory with serial or batch numbers. The serial number/batch number field is only visible when viewing products with costing methods that support serial and batch numbers.
- Set Up Cin7 Core Warehouse Management System (required)
Table of Contents
- Selecting a serial/batch number costing method
- Picking/packing inventory
- Receiving Inventory
Selecting a serial/batch number costing method
A product's costing method must support serial/batch numbers to use serial/batch number features in the WMS app. Product costing methods can be set or changed through the Cin7 Core web portal.
Products must have one of the following costing methods:
- FIFO - Serial
- FIFO - Batch
- FEFO - Serial
- FEFO - Batch
- Special - Batch
- Special - Serial
Costing methods can be changed from a product's detail page (Inventory → Products → [select product]). However, non-serialized costing methods CANNOT be changed to a serialized costing method. See Costing methods - Changing the costing method for more information.
Picking and packing
Auto-pick actions choose stock in line with FIFO/FEFO costing methods - WMS will direct the picker to bins containing the first in/first expired stock - however, pickers to scan and select any batch/serial number while picking stock for sale order fulfillment, assembly orders, or stock transfers. Subscribers to Advanced WMS have the option of recommending or enforcing FIFO/FEFO picking.
Follow the picking/packing steps for Cin7 Core WMS. When you get to the Item Details screen, you will see a field where you can enter the batch or serial number and press enter on your keypad. Continue with picking and packing as normal.
Recommend and enforce picking in FIFO/FEFO order
NOTE: This feature is only available for Advanced WMS subscribers.
While auto-pick actions choose stock in line with FIFO/FEFO costing methods - the bin a picker is automatically sent to will contain the right item - Cin7 Core web portal and WMS application allows pickers to scan and select any batch/serial number while picking stock for sale order fulfillment, assembly orders, or stock transfers.
Cin7 Core allows you to select whether validation is applied to check that picked items with batch or serial numbers are in line with FEFO/FIFO rules before authorizing a pick.
Users can choose to warn a user if picked items are not the first in/first expired units, and recommend which batch/serial numbers should be picked instead upon authorizing the pick. It is also possible to enforce picking of first in/first expired units rather than just warning.
The settings are controlled from Settings → General settings → Products and measurements settings.
Recommend batch/serial no. for FIFO/FEFO
This setting applies to sale order fulfillment, stock transfers, and assembly orders, both in Cin7 Core web portal and WMS. The following options are available:
- Don’t recommend: No warning or restrictions will be displayed if first in/first expired stock has not been selected.
- Recommend and warn: System will direct WMS picker to bins containing the first in/first expired stock. Upon pick authorisation, a warning message will display if stock picked from the bin is not first in/first expired according to product costing method, and the recommended batch/serial no. of first in/first expired stock. User can ignore the warning and pick selected stock, or remove picked items to pick first in/first expired stock.
- Recommend and enforce: System will direct WMS picker to bins containing the first in/first expired stock. Upon pick authorisation, a warning message will display if stock picked from the bin is not first in/first expired according to product costing method, and the recommended batch/serial no. of first in/first expired stock. User must remove picked items to pick first in/first expired stock.
Exclude expired batch/serial numbers
When enabled, system actions such as auto-pick, batch/serial no. recommendation, and auto-consume for production will exclude any stock with expired batch/serial no. This does not apply validation to manual scanning/selection of stock.
Follow the receiving inventory steps in Cin7 Core WMS. When you get to the Item details screen, you will see fields where you can enter the batch or serial number. Entering the batch or serial number will also display the expiry date, if applicable. Press Enter on your keypad to continue with receiving inventory as normal.
NOTE: DEAR does not currently support checking/enforcing uniqueness of serial numbers, and it is possible to enter duplicate serial numbers into the system, for example if products from a different supplier have the same serial number.